[c-nsp] logging suppress duplicates

Eugene Grosbein eugen at grosbein.net
Mon Sep 28 01:38:48 EDT 2020

Hi!

I have a bunch of 7200 routers (7201, 7206VXR, even 7301) under control of management system
that uses SNMP routinely to change operational properties of routers like administrative up/down status
for sub-interfaces etc. Every such action generates exactly same line that floods logging buffer of routers:

Sep 28 12:20:21: %SYS-5-CONFIG_I: Configured from X.X.X.X by snmp

X.X.X.X is always same.

A volume for such lines is so hight that that is overflows any sane size of in-memory logging buffer easily rendering it useless.
Routers run c7200p-adventerprisek9-mz.152-4.M6.bin IOS image (not IOS-XE nor IOS-XR).

Is it possible to enable suppression of duplicate lines in the logging buffer?
Less preferably, disable this kind of messages altogether if it ends with "by snmp" or even "from X.X.X.X by snmp".

Eugene