[c-nsp] Mass-renaming interfaces

Eugene Grosbein eugen at grosbein.net
Mon Sep 28 02:32:28 EDT 2020

Hi!

One of my 7201 routers has four GigabitEthernet interfaces but uses only two,
one for IP uplink and another as client-sided downlink with multiple
sub-interfaces named like GigabitEthernet0/1.10 (encapsulation dot1Q).

It need reconfiguration to use 2x1G port-channles. I already did such reconfiguration
for same 7201 router with small number of sub-interfaces and know this is doable
changing sub-interfaces from GigabitEthernet0/1.N to Port-channel1.N

This time the router has about 800 sub-interfaces. I can do some scripting
to prepare incremental configuration removing/re-creating sub-interfaces,
but I presume high CPU load for router while reconfiguring, long procedure time
and notable service degradation or even interruption.

Is there same another, more lightweight way to mass-rename sub-interfaces
while switching from single parent interface to Port-channel?