[c-nsp] TIL: Maintenance Operations Protocol (MOP)

James Bensley jwbensley+cisco-nsp at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 03:59:05 EDT 2021

On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 at 22:47, Lukas Tribus <lukas at ltri.eu> wrote:

> On Thu, 5 Aug 2021 at 21:49, Nick Hilliard <nick at foobar.org> wrote:
> > It has the appearance of a feature which is kept alive because some
> > customer with a huge spend demands it in general-deployment release
> > trains (this is idle speculation and may be completely wrong btw).
>
> More precisely, who (which employee) should be doing this, there is no
> ROI for pushing such a change, but there is a (tiny) possibility of
> blowback, in a company that is not exactly a stranger to layoffs.
>
> I don't think there are a lot of rewards for employees for fixing old
> lingering software problems, if any, *especially* in IOS. It's
> different if a specific BU is responsible for the code, but generic
> code from decades ago, the BU responsible for the code path today
> probably handles a million other things, some of them presumably do
> actually make money.
>

> What is right or technically correct is not always the priority.

This is the job we do, right? (it's the job I do anyway). We find a
way to convince the powers that be, that this is a massive security
risk for example, or for example that our financial exposure because
of this exact feature is 1.21 gigawatts. Not let the uneducated powers
that be tell me it's fine to keep this feature they don't understand
:)

Cheers,
James.