[c-nsp] TIL: Maintenance Operations Protocol (MOP)

Lukas Tribus lukas at ltri.eu
Fri Aug 6 08:00:30 EDT 2021

On Fri, 6 Aug 2021 at 09:59, James Bensley
<jwbensley+cisco-nsp at gmail.com> wrote:
> > What is right or technically correct is not always the priority.
>
> This is the job we do, right? (it's the job I do anyway). We find a
> way to convince the powers that be, that this is a massive security
> risk for example, or for example that our financial exposure because
> of this exact feature is 1.21 gigawatts. Not let the uneducated powers
> that be tell me it's fine to keep this feature they don't understand
> :)

I need the AM's to focus on the problems that actually do affect the
business case (which doesn't always work either), a specific default
that I don't like is not that. What I can do is have TAC file an
enhancement request, which is pretty much useless without internal
pressure.
If you are working for a shop so big that you can throw enhancement
requests at them without blinking great, but that depends on how much
you are spending I guess.

I'm no longer putting in hundreds of hours to fight losing battles,
which earlier in my carrier I did:
https://tools.cisco.com/security/center/content/CiscoSecurityAdvisory/Cisco-SA-20140828-CVE-2014-3347

cheers,
lukas