Nexus Architecture question

Tim Stevenson (tstevens) tstevens at cisco.com
Wed Jun 2 17:30:40 EDT 2021

Hi Drew,

In answer to your question about BGP, the BGP process runs only on the supervisor engine, it does not run on the linecards or anywhere else. It's a single process, not a per-interface process or anything like that.

Curious how exactly you are configuring CoPP to filter this? With default CoPP, I get an "open/tcpwrapped" (green) response on TCP 179; I was able to get a "filtered" (red) response by adding a CoPP class that matches on BGP and polices to a CIR of 0. I preceeded that class with a class that matches on a specific neighborship - that BGP neighborship is successfully established while nmap still returns as filtered from my host.

ip access-list allow-bgp
  10 permit tcp 10.1.1.1/32 gt 1023 10.1.1.2/32 eq bgp
  20 permit tcp 10.1.1.2/32 eq bgp 10.1.1.1/32 gt 1023
ip access-list drop-bgp
  10 permit tcp any any eq bgp
  20 permit tcp any eq bgp any
!
class-map type control-plane match-any allow-bgp
  match access-group name allow-bgp
class-map type control-plane match-any drop-bgp
  match access-group name drop-bgp
!
policy-map type control-plane test-copp-policy-strict
  class allow-bgp
    set cos 7
    police cir 36000 kbps bc 1280000 bytes conform transmit violate drop
  class drop-bgp
    police cir 0 bps bc 32000 bytes conform transmit violate drop

Hope that helps,
Tim