[c-nsp] ASR1009x and 10G thruput

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Fri May 7 04:33:43 EDT 2021

I'm assuming the egress port te0/1/7 is not simply full (including
microbursts), because I guess we wouldn't be here if it was.

Have you walked through QFP packet drop decks?

Can you review if you may be software switching, instead of QFP.

show platform hardware qfp active infrastructure punt statistics
interface name te0/1/4
show platform hardware qfp active infrastructure punt statistics
interface name te0/1/7
show platform hardware qfp active infrastructure punt statistics type per-cause

I would expect to see 'transmitted punt packets' as 0,

Unfortunately I only have ASR1001-X so it doesn't translate 1:1 to
another QFP platform. But my first guess would be you're SW switching.

There is a good cisco live deck on troubleshooting drops on QFP
platforms, which might help your research.

On Fri, 7 May 2021 at 11:15, <hank at interall.co.il> wrote:

> When we collected the packet traces on interface TenGigabitEthernet0/1/7
> and noticed drops with Taildrops with Feature QoS as can be seen below.
> The
> problem is there is no QoS on the interface.
>
> teg#show platform packet-trace summary
>
> Pkt   Input                     Output                    State  Reason
>
> 0     Te0/1/4                   Te0/1/7                   DROP   23
> (TailDrop)
>
> 1     Te0/1/4                   Te0/1/7                   DROP   23
> (TailDrop)
>
> 2     Te0/1/4                   Te0/1/7                   DROP   23
> (TailDrop)
>
> 3     Te0/1/4                   Te0/1/7                   DROP   23
> (TailDrop)
>
> What feature in IOS-XE can possibly cause Taildrops?
>
> Thanks,
> Hank

  ++ytti