[c-nsp] policer on ASR1001X

Lukasz Bromirski lukasz at bromirski.net
Fri Sep 10 11:50:32 EDT 2021

Saku, Mark,

> On 10 Sep 2021, at 14:38, Saku Ytti <saku at ytti.fi> wrote:
>
> On Fri, 10 Sept 2021 at 14:53, Mark Tinka <mark at tinka.africa> wrote:
>
>> With Cisco putting a lot more effort into IOS XR, I really wonder if the
>> ASR1000 and other platforms based on IOS XE will be around in the
>> medium-to-long term.
>
> Didn't they just release next-gen catalyst switches and isr cpes
> (rebranded as catalyst?) with IOS-XE?

IOS-XE is here to stay :) Indeed, there’s “dumbed down” version of it for SD-WAN, and they’re being slowly unified with normal IOS-XE being adopted to work in “centralized” (vs “autonomous”) mode. That’s not “autonomous” like with the Autonomic Networking feature from some years back, it’s “normal” IOS-XE.

From hardware perspective, yes, UADP (Catalyst/switches) and QFP (Catalyst/ASR/routers) can handle a lot of fancy QoS duties, and doing pps/bps at the same time would be just enhancement. PPS limit for normal traffic seems to be less popular as Customers usually care more about bandwidth/throughput than PPS, while PPS is *very* important and more applicable for Control-Plane protection duties, as all processing is PPS-bound obviously.

@James - please reach out to your account team to request such feature.

--
Łukasz Bromirski