[c-nsp] policer on ASR1001X

Mark Tinka mark at tinka.africa
Fri Sep 10 12:02:08 EDT 2021

On 9/10/21 17:50, Lukasz Bromirski wrote:

> IOS-XE is here to stay :) Indeed, there’s “dumbed down” version of it for SD-WAN, and they’re being slowly unified with normal IOS-XE being adopted to work in “centralized” (vs “autonomous”) mode. That’s not “autonomous” like with the Autonomic Networking feature from some years back, it’s “normal” IOS-XE.
>
>  From hardware perspective, yes, UADP (Catalyst/switches) and QFP (Catalyst/ASR/routers) can handle a lot of fancy QoS duties, and doing pps/bps at the same time would be just enhancement. PPS limit for normal traffic seems to be less popular as Customers usually care more about bandwidth/throughput than PPS, while PPS is *very* important and more applicable for Control-Plane protection duties, as all processing is PPS-bound obviously.
>
> @James - please reach out to your account team to request such feature.

Thanks, Lukasz.

But with respect, this is one of the reasons I am changing all our gear
over to Juniper. The messaging from Cisco depends on who you speak to,
and when. Last year with our AM team was horrible, trying to get
features into the ASR920, and being told that the NCS540 is where all
focus is going; so, sorry!

This may or may not have been true last year. This may or may not be
true this year. But I can't build a business on this uncertainty.

I'm not moaning at you, just to be clear :-).

Mark.