[c-nsp] storm-control errdisable with no traffic or vlan

Joe Maimon jmaimon at jmaimon.com
Thu Aug 4 06:52:11 EDT 2022

Gert Doering wrote:
> Hi,
>

> Make the port a routed port (= ingress packets go nowhere), set up
> a SPAN session, find out what sort of packets are coming in (broacast,
> multicast, unknown-unicast) and how many of them.  Adjust limits,
> as ytti said.

Interesting approach, even if not sure it will get anywhere on this one.

> While I agree to "have storm-control anywhere" - if this is intended
> to be a routed link, limits can be fairly high (the only reason why
> you want storm-control is to protect the 4900M's CPU, not anything
> else in the network).

10k is typical value I use for network protection purposes, anything
serious is gonna exceed that in a heartbeat.

> OTOH, a 4900M?  really?
>
> gert

1) 200-300 used
2) 8 onboard X2, 2 slots for modules for 4/8 X2, 8port X2 modules
support twingig, or 20 GigT, or 8 10gT (those are pricey)
3) 4500 platform vs. 3xxx
4) no licensing subscriptions
5) Software only 4 years old

Cisco IOS Software, Catalyst 4500 L3 Switch  Software
(cat4500e-ENTSERVICESK9-M), Version 15.2(4)E7, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc2)
Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport
Copyright (c) 1986-2018 by Cisco Systems, Inc.
Compiled Tue 18-Sep-18 13:49 by prod_rel_team

6) 2U, Dual PS, external CF, 4 post mounting
7) Rock stable.

uptime is 3 years, 27 weeks, 23 hours, 5 minutes

There are plenty of places left for gear like this, especially as CPE
and especially considering the alternatives I see people putting in.

If you got suggestions for gear less than 4figures with similar or
better qualities, I am all ears.

Joe