[c-nsp] v6 vrrp

Saku Ytti saku at ytti.fi
Fri Jul 15 01:56:47 EDT 2022

On Fri, 15 Jul 2022 at 03:09, Charles Sprickman <spork at bway.net> wrote:

> I’m doing much less work with Cisco these last few years, and you reminded me I do have some folks with ASR-1000 series that are way, way, way overdue for some work. I have literally no idea about how the current licensing scheme works, nor the whole split/change to IOS. I think that’s all too basic for this list, but if anyone here has some pointers to resources outside of cisco’s own site that could get me up to speed a bit, I’d really appreciate it.

I would suggest to use this:
https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/td/docs/ios-xml/ios/smart-licensing/qsg/b_Smart_Licensing_QuickStart/b_Smart_Licensing_QuickStart_chapter_01000.html

With it you never need to phone home after initial install and you'll
never expire your license.

Technical license enforcement is an entirely non-workable idea, we've
had HTTPS for almost 30 years and regularly serious, well resourced
companies fail to re-up their licenses before they expire. In HTTPS we
can probably justify the benefits of expiry outweigh the harm, but in
licensing we cannot, and we must not accept technical enforcement from
any vendor.

Juniper is coming up with licensing but have strategically decided not
to do technical enforcement. I am not against licensing wholesale, but
I want it to be a commercial problem, not a technical one. I'm fine
calling home and reporting non-compliance.

--
  ++ytti