[c-nsp] v6 vrrp

Charles Sprickman spork at bway.net
Fri Jul 15 15:16:21 EDT 2022

> On Jul 15, 2022, at 4:12 AM, Mark Tinka <mark at tinka.africa> wrote:
>

> On 7/15/22 07:56, Saku Ytti wrote:
>

>> Juniper is coming up with licensing but have strategically decided not
>> to do technical enforcement. I am not against licensing wholesale, but
>> I want it to be a commercial problem, not a technical one. I'm fine
>> calling home and reporting non-compliance.
>
> Agreed, I also like the Juniper model. The licensing is more commercial and support, than technical (except for PPPoE session scaling in BNG applications, IIRC).
>
> But like Charles, we are also doing less and less work on Cisco. The last time we did an IOS XE upgrade on the ASR1002-X and ASR1006, it was anywhere between 21 - 42 steps to move from 3.x to 17.x :-(.

Oh my god… I’m going to be consultant shopping. That’s well above my pay grade.

If you’re not looking for any new features from IOS and simply want to have a secure/patched version, is there any option at all to park in XE and stay there? There’s a handful of these that have become pretty dumb big routers w/very simple BGP and not much else due to the world moving to metro-e as the go-to access option.

Thanks,

Charles