[c-nsp] Internet border router recommendations and experiences

Gert Doering gert at greenie.muc.de
Sun Feb 26 15:57:01 EST 2023

Hi,

On Sun, Feb 26, 2023 at 08:21:01PM +0000, Phil Bedard wrote:
> The newer software is packaged that way already, if you don?t need SMUs.  If you want to customize it with SMUs and whatnot it takes a few minutes, depends on your processor and storage speed of course.

The question was not so much "how long does it create the iso" but
"how long will the platform take to do 'install replace myiso.iso'",
given the abysmal filesystem performance of IOS XR.

While I generally really like XR more than XE, the "copy one image
to flash, and then reload, pointing to that image" is just much
more convenient than "have the box extract the image into a full
filesystem, waiting for that to succeed, eternities later".

(The latter is also something JunOS on EX switches really *cough*
excels at, mounting flash read-write that should be read-only, and
destroying filesystems on power-outage reloads...)

gert