[c-ubr] docsis 1.1 qos question

Matt Hoskins matth at npgco.com
Wed Jun 15 10:51:05 EDT 2005

Hello:

My company is deploying voice services via packetcable and I have a
question about QoS.  Our telephony partner will not be using DQoS to
dynamically create the call service flows.  Because of this, I am
manually creating two dedicated service flows for the voice traffic in
the docsis1.1 config file.

I am using the UGS scheduling type on the upstream.  My question is
this:  By using the UGS scheduling type, am I reserving that bandwidth
so that only that modem and that service flow can ever use that
bandwidth?  Currently, the UGS service flow takes approximately 98k of
bandwidth.  If I provision 50 UGS service flows, will I have effectively
reserved all my bandwidth and not have any left over for the BE traffic?

Thanks for any help!

Matt Hoskins
Network Engineer