[cisco-voip] Exotic CM 4.0 Installations and Support

Gary Mensenares jug at cfi.callworx.com
Mon Oct 18 04:13:09 EDT 2004

Hello everyone!

I'm relatively new to the list so if my question isn't fair game to the
list (which I think is not the case), I hope the list forgives me and
points me to the right direction.

I recently acquired an old unused IBM x345-61X from our US office. Since
I had very little spare hardware on my shelf, I loaded it with whatever
I have: a pair of unutilized Xeon 2.GHz, a ServeRAID 5i, and 2G of
memory.

I wanted to install CM4.0 with OS Version 2000.2.6 but was initially
having problems. I keep getting the "Present Hardware is Not Supported"
error. Out of desperation, I took out one of the processors and
surprisingly, the Cisco-supplied Windows 2000 properly installed.
Unfortunately, I could not proceed beyond any further beyond disk 3
because "OS Upgrade Is Only Allowed on Cisco Supported Hardware."

Has anybody on the list figured out a way around this problem? I
understand that the problem arises from the fact that the Cisco
Distribution CDs are really just a bunch of images installed based on a
pre-determined hardware configuration, which I find rather rigid.

Also, I wanted to ask your opinion regarding the viability of using
AVVID as the core technology of your company's VOIP strategy. Do you
guys find the technology open enough to interoperate with everything
else that you have? Does it complement or try too much to replace all
the other stuff that you've invested on in the past? How is the
scalability/reliability and support?

When I tried seeking support from the local representative office,
instead got a lecture on why it is better to buy turn key solutions from
local Cisco channels. How's your experience in your respective
countries?

Regards,