[cisco-voip] cant dial out from ip phone

Chad Whitten cwhitten at nexband.com
Wed Oct 20 10:09:28 EDT 2004

turns out, this is actually a bug in callmanager.  the ip phones lose their
calling search space after a reset.

looks like i will be rebooting the callmanager servers

for anyone who is interested, here is the bug #
 	CSCea20477 Bug Details

Release Notes

Symptoms:
IP phone registered to a CCM server loses ability to call other phones
or out to the PSTN after the phone is reset. Once the condition starts
occurring, any additional phone that is reset is likely to experience the same
failure. CCM trace shows that the CallManager is no longer honoring the
Calling Search Space(CSS) configured for the IP phone.

example from CCM trace:
Cisco CallManager|Digit analysis: match(fqcn="4003", cn="4003", pss="",
dd="9")

This snippet of CCM trace shows an attempted call from x4003. The pss should
be a list of valid partitions to be searched for the dialed destination (dd).
The pss shows no valid partitions even though in CCMAdmin both the phone
device
and the phone line are configured with CSS containing several partitions

Conditions:
CallManager in a cluster of 2 or more servers. This is due to a
handle leak in the CCM.exe process. Open task manager on the callmanager
server, select the process tab, select view, then select columns, check the
box
for handle count, select OK. Find the CCM.exe process and the assocaited
handle count. On most systems the handle count for CCM.exe should be less
than 10,000. The handle count is dependant on the system configuration and
registered devices, so it is best to benchmark a system handle count
immediately after a restart and then monitor for upward trends. Handle counts
can also be monitored and recorded through performance monitor
start->programs->administrative tools->performance for easier recording and
trending.

Issue introduced in CCM 3.2(2c)spG and resolved in 3.2(2c)spH
Issue introduced in CCM 3.2(2c)ES39 and resolved in 3.2(2c)ES63

Workaround:
Register the IP phones to a backup server OR reboot the affected call
processing server. Then upgrade CCM to a fixed version for a long term fix.