[cisco-voip] AS5300 Gateway as SIP Phone Client

Paul Gani cisco at gani.com
Mon Apr 11 18:56:24 EDT 2005

We have an AS5300 IOS 12.3(12) with 4 E1s operating as a H323 gateway.
Several dial-peers are configured, accepting calls from other
gateways/gatekeepers as well as sending calls to other
gateways/gatekeepers.  Our only authentication performed in either
direction is by using number (DNIS) prefixes.

We would like to test sending calls to a SIP account we have acquired.
We have been given an IP address, username, and password.  This is the
information that would normally be programmed into any one of dozens of
low cost SIP adapters/telephones.  However, I have not been able to find
information on how to program our AS5300 gateway to act as a SIP user
agent and be able to specify transmitting the username/password as part of
the client registration process.  Forgive me if I don't appear to
understand the concepts or terminology precisely - I'm still learning.

Is what we want to do possible?  Can a Cisco gateway be programed as a SIP
adapter/telephone client?  I have not been able to find anything in the
IOS documentation for the "sip-ua" and dial-peer sections addressing this
situation.

Thanks,
Paul Gani