[cisco-voip] Has anyone else had problems with 7940/60 phones breaking at the switchhook?

Mike Armstrong mfa at crec.ifas.ufl.edu
Fri Jan 7 13:34:18 EST 2005

We've just had our 4th 7940/60 break where the earpiece rests on the case.
In all cases the client had the little reversible tab set to hook the phone
so it won't fall out of the rest if the phone tilts toward the vertical.
I'm assuming the client pressed the phone down on the tab too hard, thinking
that it needed to be pressed down harder to make it go on-hook. This (IMHO)
points to a lousy design, since the little tab rest is attached to the case
body by 2 very narrow bridges, which are the failure points -- both bridges
always break.  TAC, OTOH, has decided it points to "abuse or neglect" and
has refused to honor a request for RMA replacement.  I'd like to know if
this is a common problem, or unique to us.

Mike Armstrong
UF/IFAS CREC
Lake Alfred, FL