[cisco-voip] Has anyone else had problems with 7940/60 phones breaking at the switchhook?

Kevin Thorngren kevint at cisco.com
Fri Jan 7 15:38:59 EST 2005

Hi Mike,

I have been in the AVVID TAC team for over two years and don't recall
hearing of this being an issue.  Keep in mind that RMA cases don't come
to my queue, so I don't know what percentage of RMA requests are for
this issue.  I don't want to get into an argument of whether this is a
good design or not but I will give you my observations.  I don't use
the tab side of the clip myself but I did turn it around on my phone.
I noticed that if I hang up with the handset at the bottom and push
directly toward the phone or even in an upward direction it can be
difficult to get the phone to go on hook.  But if I hang up the phone
toward the top and let it drop slightly it takes no effort on my part.

I noticed that there are two ridges in the bottom of the handset cradle
on the new lower end phones (7902, 7905 and 7912) that seem to help
push the handset up slightly when hanging up the handset.  This looks
to push the phone almost half way up the tab.  I am not sure if the
ridges are there for that purpose but it does seem to help.  Maybe one
of these would be a good option for you in the places where you need
vertical phones.

I will let others comment on whether this is a common problem in the
field.

HTH,
Kevin