[cisco-voip] Has anyone else had problems with 7940/60 phones breaking at the switchhook?

Mike Armstrong mfa at crec.ifas.ufl.edu
Sat Jan 8 08:57:49 EST 2005

We've had about 200 phones in service, for about 2 years, and we've had 3
break.  They've all been on the desks of faculty; maybe it's the high stress
of the academic life.  They've set the phones up with the little hook-end
exposed, so you've got to hang up the phone carefully, using a gentle
top-to-bottom motion to catch the hook.  If you just place the phone in the
cradle, you don't catch the hook, and the phone remains off-hook.  So, I
suspect some kind of repetitive stress syndrome -- they just plop the phone
into the cradle, and after a few hundred plops, the little ears break.  Or,
you might be inclined to push it into the cradle in an attempt to make it go
off-hook.  Or, if you slam it down in a huff, you might break the ears in
one swell foop.  It's a lousy design.

mike