[cisco-voip] Cisco VoIP IP-IP gateway

Chris Roberts croberts at bongle.co.uk
Sun Jan 16 20:06:40 EST 2005

Hey,

We have a gatekeeper to which we currently register directly. We have:

CM/Phones <---> GW <-- E1 PRI --> GW <-- IP --> GK

In this way the CM/Phones sit in our private network and are isolated from
the outside IP network. I'd like to remove this back to back PRI and use an
IP-IP gateway to proxy the traffic from our CM/Phones to the GK, so that we
can add more sites with gateways, and as an alternative to NAT (which I
understand doesn't work well with H.323 - in either case our firewalls don't
really support QoS, so I'd rather do it on a separate platform). I've been
messing with the Cisco IP-IP gateway, however after lots of trouble I
finally found a section in the docs that states you need a via-zone
gatekeeper to make the IP-IP gateway work with RAS. Currently, with the
IP-IP GW configured to register with the GK, and the relevant dialpeers and
such configured into the IP-IP GW, I get calls rejected with rejectReason
undefinedReason. Is this a bug, or is this because of the lack of a via-zone
GK? Is there any way I can implement this proxy without the via-zone
gatekeepers? I don't want to add two boxes for this purpose since it seems
that a 2621 would be enough.

Will multimedia conference manager do what I need? IP-IP GW seems to be the
way to go, and the replacement for MCM, but I don't want to have to install
a GK and GW just for the network edge.

Has anyone done similar to this and got it working?

Cheers,
Chris.

---