[cisco-voip] DHCP Backup Methods

Erick B. erickbe at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 23 00:34:12 EST 2005

An alternative would be to use the Cisco IOS DHCP
server if your DHCP settings weren't complicated, etc.
Maybe even a linux based DHCP server that you could
backup the config file on easily.

--- Lelio Fulgenzi <lelio at uoguelph.ca> wrote:

> After doing some reading, it seems that simply
> backing up the dhcp.mdb file is not enough if you
> need to restore the DHCP server on another server or
> rebuild the server from scratch, and that the
> registry configuration keys also need to be backed
> up. I got the above information from Microsoft's How
> to move a DHCP database to another Windows server.
> From that page, it also refers to the DHCPExIm.exe
> toolkit which will both backup the database and the
> configuration, however, it seems that a few things
> are not exported/imported, including: DHCP database
> path, DHCP database backup path, Audit log path,
> Detect Conflict Retry settings, Multicast scopes and
> BOOTP tables.
>
> I'll be doing some testing in the lab, but wouldn't
> mind hearing about any 'real life' experiences where
> someone has had to restore the DHCP server.
>

> -----
>                 -----
> Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.
>  lelio at uoguelph.ca.eh
> Network Analyst (CCS)
> University of Guelph
> FAX:(519) 767-1060 JNHN
> Guelph, Ontario N1G 2W1
> TEL:(519) 824-4120 x56354

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

http://www.microsoft.com/windows2000/techinfo/reskit/tools/new/dhcpexim-o.asp

>   --- Kevin Thorngren <kevint at cisco.com> wrote:
>
>   > Hi Lelio,
>   >
>   > I have asked many customers to enable Task
>   > Schedular, for various
>   > reasons, on the CallManager without any issues.
>   > am not sure of the
>   > recommended way to backup the MS DHCP server.
>   > Running NT backup is not
>   > supported on the CallManager.  Although if NT
> Backup
>   > is only used for
>   > the DHCP DB then I don't see where you would run
>   > into any issues.  Of
>   > course, as you probably know, the only supported
>   > backup for CCM is
>   > either STI Backup or BARS.
>   >
>   > HTH,
>   > Kev
>   > On Jan 22, 2005, at 1:02 PM, Lelio Fulgenzi
> wrote:
>   >
>   > > I'm just wondering what sort of methods people
> are
>   > using for backing
>   > > up their DHCP database. We're using a manual
>   > method right now as we
>   > > make changes, but I'd like to automate it.
>   > >
>   > > From my limited knowledge of Windows 2000, I
>   > understand that I have to
>   > > enable the task scheduler before I can
> schedule
>   > windows backup tasks.
>   > > Anyone have any problem enabling the windows
> task
>   > schedule with a Call
>   > > Manager/DHCP server?
>   > >