[cisco-voip] DHCP Backup Methods

Lelio Fulgenzi lelio at uoguelph.ca
Sun Jan 23 00:25:36 EST 2005

After doing some reading, it seems that simply backing up the dhcp.mdb file is not enough if you need to restore the DHCP server on another server or rebuild the server from scratch, and that the registry configuration keys also need to be backed up. I got the above information from Microsoft's How to move a DHCP database to another Windows server. From that page, it also refers to the DHCPExIm.exe toolkit which will both backup the database and the configuration, however, it seems that a few things are not exported/imported, including: DHCP database path, DHCP database backup path, Audit log path, Detect Conflict Retry settings, Multicast scopes and BOOTP tables.

I'll be doing some testing in the lab, but wouldn't mind hearing about any 'real life' experiences where someone has had to restore the DHCP server.

Lelio Fulgenzi, B.A.                                  lelio at uoguelph.ca.eh
Network Analyst (CCS)
University of Guelph                             FAX:(519) 767-1060 JNHN
Guelph, Ontario N1G 2W1                          TEL:(519) 824-4120 x56354
     remove the 1st letter of the canadian alphabet from my email, eh!