[cisco-voip] Codecs

Paul Long plong at metreos.com
Fri Jan 28 12:12:11 EST 2005

Anthony,

G.711 has better quality, consumes fewer MIPS, and is unencumbered by patent
claims but uses more bandwidth than low-bandwidth codecs, such as G.729 and
G.723.1. For comparison, at 20ms packetization, which is typical, G.711
(doesn't matter which power law) uses 80kbps at the IP layer whereas G.729
uses 24kbps.

Here's a calculator I wrote that lets you explore codecs:
http://packetizer.com/voip/diagnostics/bandcalc.html

Paul