[cisco-voip] Codecs

Ryan Ratliff rratliff at cisco.com
Fri Jan 28 08:25:47 EST 2005

All you ever needed to know about codecs (doc id 7934):
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk652/tk698/
technologies_tech_note09186a0080094ae2.shtml

Region configuration guide for CM 3.3(3):
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/
products_administration_guide_chapter09186a0080181a2c.html

To answer your questions in short g.729 is a low bandwidth codec.  If
your calls between clusters are going over a WAN then that is why they
are configured for g.729 vs g.711.

The parameter in CM that decides what codec to use is Region.  Since
Regions are configured per Device Pool and not per device you can think
of the Device Pool as being what decides the codec to be used for a
call between any two given devices.

The next question I expect will be "what are locations used for then?".
  See below.
http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/voicesw/ps556/
products_administration_guide_chapter09186a0080181a2b.html

Your calls to the PSTN going out as both g.729 and g.711 are probably
hitting different route patterns that in turn send them out different
gateways.  It's possible you are doing some kind of toll bypass that
sends one of those calls over the wan to either the other CM cluster or
directly to a gateway there.  You'll have to confirm this with whoever
set up your CM.

-Ryan