[cisco-voip] Codecs

Anthony Mendoza amendoza at Niku.com
Fri Jan 28 00:31:48 EST 2005

G711u vs. G729.

I noticed G711u being used when I was doing a call between two different
handsets registered on 2 different clusters.  Is the G711u more
efficient than G729 in terms of bandwidth vs. quality?  Also, an odd
thing I noticed was when I hit 9 on one call (to get an outside line) it
used 729, and on another call (hitting 9) it used G711u.  Any ideas why
that would be different on a call by call basis?

Something I noticed is that the Trunk I have configured is in my
"Location" for my local phones in our office.  Does this setting control
which codec is used when doing intercluster trunk calls?

--
Anthony Mendoza

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: The information contained in this message and
or attachments is intended only for the person or entity to which it is
addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. Any
review, retransmission, dissemination, copying, or other use of this
prohibited. If you received this e-mail or its attachments in error,
please contact the sender and delete the material from any system and
destroy any copies.