[cisco-voip] AD Integration Questions

Ryan Ratliff rratliff at cisco.com
Tue Jul 5 10:01:51 EDT 2005

Answers inline.

-Ryan
On Jul 5, 2005, at 9:46 AM, Rubottom, Karl wrote:

Is it possible to have Call Manager use more then one user search base
when integrating with Active Directory?  We have several sites and not
all of our users are in one OU.  The ultimate goal would be separate
search directories for each user search base (site1, site2, site3
instead of corporate directory).  I am under the assumption that this
will take some custom modifications.
RR>  With AD if you want CM to search multiple OUs then your search
base needs to be set to a location that contains all of those OUs.
Many times this ends up being the root of the domain.

If a user does not have a telephone number defined will they still show
up in the corporate directory search?
RR>  Yes it should.

Do administrative accounts need to be in the same user search base as
users?
RR> Depends on the accounts.  The Directory Manager account (in theory)
should be able to be anywhere in the AD because it's path is explicitly
defined.   Accounts like CCMAdministrator, CCMSysUser, etc I believe
need to be in the search space, though they won't show up in the global
directory.

Are upgrades with Active Directory integration supported, or does the
integration need to be reconfigured after each major upgrade?
RR>  Upgrades should go just fine with the AD integration in place as
long as your DCD is healthy.   Expect the install to fail if for some
reason DCD cannot be started on all servers (ie service disabled) and
is in good working order.   The DCD dib doesn't have to have any data
in it, but it needs to be able to run.  Any time you upgrade CM to a
new major version (ie 3.3(3) to 3.3(4)), not including SR patches, you
will need to run the AD plugin again to upgrade the AD schema.

Thank you for your time.