[cisco-voip] Call Manager and Pots Lines

Nick Griffin ngriffin at qos-is.com
Wed Jul 13 11:13:14 EDT 2005

A good place to start for AVVID, and Cisco IP Telepony are the SRND's for voice available at the link below:

www.cisco.com/go/srnd

But in response to your question, FXS are station ports typically used to connect Fax machines or analog devices, this will not allow for connectivity to an analog CO trunk. Typical scenarios usually involve a gateways with some sort of T1 connecitivity via T1-CAS, or PRI with a Cisco MFT-T1 card in a NM-HDV voice model for dsp resources, although the new ISR routers have dsp resource on the motherboard that can be shared, and do not require a High Density Voice Module. In this scenario a lot of times you'll see backup analog lines to maintain connectivity in the event of the T1 failure to provide local calling, or 911 services. This type of connectivity is provided via the FXO ports in your voice gateway. Of course depending on the size of the deployment, a lot of times companies cannot justify T1's, and may require a large amount of analog lines. In this scenario the new EVM Voice Module available for the ISR's is your best option, this supports FXS/FXO and DID support, as well as BRI.

Hope this helps

Nick Griffin