[cisco-voip] Distinctive ring tones for individual lines

Mike Armstrong mfa at crec.ifas.ufl.edu
Thu Jul 14 17:20:25 EDT 2005

I'm trying to set different ring tones for individual lines on a 7940 phone
(CCM 4.1(3)).  If I navigate to Settings->Ring Type->Default Ring, I'm
presented with a list of the 25 tones shipped with CCM, and if I select one
of those, it's applied to all lines.  However, if I navigate to
Settings->Ring Type->[individual line] I'm only presented with a list of 7
tones ("Ring 1" through "Ring 7") which are all pretty ugly.  These 7 tones
are defined in the DistinctiveRingList.xml file, in the same format as
described in the CCM documentation as for CiscoIPPhoneRingList.xml, and
appear to be global to the CCM cluster.  Do these 2 xml files obey the same
rules as far as content and size go?  Could I just replace the entire
Distinctive file with the RingList file and thus present all 25 (or up to 50
if I add custom rings) rings for selection to individual lines?

Mike Armstrong
UF/IFAS CREC
Lake Alfred, FL