[cisco-voip] CCM 4.1 and H.323 outbound FastStart

Ryan Ratliff rratliff at cisco.com
Mon Jul 18 23:14:12 EDT 2005

The MTP will be required for every fast-start call. The MTP is used so
that CM has a real IP address and port to tell the gateway to use.  An
IP phone can't provide CM with a port/IP address this early in the call
thus the need for the MTP.  If CM fails to allocate an MTP the call
should proceed as slow start and supplementary services (hold,
conference, transfer, etc) will be disabled for the call.

Remember an MTP is not necessarily a transcoder, though a transcoder
can almost always act as an MTP.   The few exceptions are with IOS
gateways doing g.729 pass through.  The CMM is the only one that can
provide this functionality in a transcoder.  With an NM-HDV based DSP
resources you will need to define a MTP profile configured to use g.729
in order to achieve this functionality.  If you go with a router-based
software MTP it can support up to 500 simultaneous calls so
provisioning should not be an issue.

-Ryan