[cisco-voip] overhead paging system integration

Mark D. Nagel mnagel at willingminds.com
Tue Jul 26 21:31:58 EDT 2005

Jason Burwell wrote:

>     I have several sites with overhead paging systems. I have linked
> them to CCM using an ATA186 hooked to a Valcom paging adaptor (the
> exact model number I cannot remember right now). I just put a phantom
> DN on the ATA and program a speed dial on all phones that need access.
> They press the speed dial and are greeted almost immediately by the
> Valcom "talk tone". The paticular model I am using has feedback
> reduction. I highly recommend using a phantom number, because if
> someone on the outside dials into it you could have a problem. This
> has been working perfectly for the last couple of years. I tried to
> use an FXS port on a 3725 once, but I had problems with the port not
> disconnecting properly and getting hung up. I switched to the ATAs and
> have had no more problems. If you would like I can get the Valcom
> model number I am using, just let me know. Hope this helps!

I have the phantom DN configured OK -- it is '*99' in a local partition
so other offices do not have access to it.  If I hook an analog phone to
the ATA, I can dial it just fine.  The trouble ultimately is, I can't
figure out the right configuration on the Valcom V-9940.  I tried the
version where you connect the speakers to 8 & 9, ATA to 16 & 17 and
power to 29 & 30, set dip 1 to off, 4 and 8 to on.  That was based on
the manual's description of a "PABX to speakers" configuration.  That
didn't work and I just didn't have the fundamentals to draw from to
troubleshoot.  If anyone has a known working pin configuration for the
V-9940, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Mark