[cisco-voip] signaling very average bandwidth

Vladimir Litovka (vlitovka) vlitovka at cisco.com
Thu Jun 2 09:37:42 EDT 2005

Hello,

I have a question, which seems to be strange at a first glance - I need _average_ MGCP/SIP/H.323 bandwidth requirements for various operator categories (mobile, fixed) and for residential/business customers, dependently on 'calls per second' value. I understand, that question is not quite correct, because signaling bandwidth highly depends on various factors, such as calls complexity (switching to faxes and backward, etc), but I think, that there are some statistics, which more or less reflect real situation.

For example, my calculation for MGCP gives me at least such values:

CRCX ~200 bytes (includes request itself and payload)
DLCX ~100 bytes
plus IP/UDP headers (2x24 bytes)

it is possible MDCX ~200 bytes, let us give average 1 MDCX per call (some calls may contain few MDCXes, some - no one). This adds 200+24 bytes per call. By multiplying this value (572 bytes) by CPS we get required bandwidth. For example, for 10CPS we get 10*572/8 = ~46Kbps.

As I understand, SIP generally is bigger and more complex, than MGCP and I can't even imagine something similar to calculation above :) Same for H.323.

So, the question is - is there very very average statistics for these protocols?

Thank you.

--

/doka