[cisco-voip] Unused Area Codes

Jared Mauch jared at puck.nether.net
Sat Jun 11 11:59:50 EDT 2005

On Fri, Jun 10, 2005 at 10:42:47PM -0500, Andrew Dignan wrote:
> I am working on an install where 10 digit dialing is being utilized.  I
> would like to use an unused area code for my NON-DID phones.  I want to
> obviously be careful to not choose an area code that will eventually be
> used.  In looking at the NANP database any numbers like 666, 555, 777, etc
> are not in use and are classified as "easily distinguisable".  Anway, just
> curious if anyone sees an issue with me using area code 777 for my non-did
> phones.

	I would use 1-700-xxx-yyyy

	700-xxx-yyyy is reserved for your LD carrier to terminate
calls.  eg: 1-700-555-4141 typically plays a recording from your LD
carrier saying who provides your LD service.  This is useful in
some cases for testing, so you could route 700-555-yyyy to your local/LD
trunks.  Otherwise, you can use 700 for other uses.

	- Jared

Jared Mauch  | pgp key available via finger from jared at puck.nether.net