[cisco-voip] CME: translation in ephone-dn

Andre Beck cisco-voip at ibh.net
Fri Jun 17 05:39:01 EDT 2005

Hi,

while writing the following I've found CSCeg65407 which describes
exactly my problem and tells me it's fixed in 12.4(latest), so consider
it just as a googleable description of a problem and (hopefully) how to
avoid it. I'll go and make a customer date for the upgrade now...

I need a way to prefix most of the numbers dialed on CME EPhones with
a 0 digit, with the exception of the local ones. This is to help a
transition phase where several interconnected CMEs are still centrally
connected to a PBX and each location is moved from the PBX to CME. The
call routing is already established in a way that dialing

[1-9]XX		will lead to the new CME extension (either local or via
                H.323 RAS to a central gatekeeper)
0XXX		will lead to the old PBX numbers

so prefixing all not-yet-converted numbers with a 0 would simply do
the magic. The obvious way to do it is voice translation profiles
in ephone-dns. This is also explicitely documented in the CME 3.2
Admin Guide. But my tests lead to nothing. I've simplified the test
to see whether this translation works at all to the following:

voice translation-rule 1000
 rule 1 /^\(8..\)$/ /\1/
 rule 14 /^999$/ /830/
 rule 15 /^\(....*\)$/ /0\1/
!
!
voice translation-profile ephone-route
 translate called 1000

Intention is to leave any three digit number startig with 8 as is,
rewrite 999 to 830 and prepend any other number of at least three
digits with a 0. According to the test feature, this works as expected:

#test voice translation-rule 1000 833
Matched with rule 1
Original number: 833    Translated number: 833

#test voice translation-rule 1000 999
Matched with rule 14
Original number: 999    Translated number: 830

#test voice translation-rule 1000 444
Matched with rule 15
Original number: 444    Translated number: 0444

Perfect, so I plugged it where it belongs:

ephone-dn  1  dual-line
 number 830
 label Smith, John
 description 830
 name John Smith
 translation-profile incoming ephone-route

The bad news: It doesn't work. The number is not rewritten, the call
is not routed to the correct number. According to "debug voice trans"
the expected translation never takes place and the CME tries to route
to the typed number as-is, which at the moment leads nowhere. Neither
does it prepend arbitrary called numbers with a 0, nor does it recognize
an explicitely typed 999 and would rewrite it to 830, it tries to reach
999 instead.

Any explanations are highly welcome as I *need* this feature badly.
I've used translation profiles before on POTS voice ports up and down,
they do all my external <--> internal number rewriting quite nicely.
It's just in the ephone-dn virtual POTS voice port case they stop to
do what's expected of them.

CME is 3.2.1 on 12.3(11)XL1, simply because it was the newest avail-
able version that day we installed the CME. I've seen there is 3.3 now
for 12.3(14)T which I expect to run on 12.4(1a) as well, so I'll try
to upgrade as CSCeg65407 is supposed to be fixed in 12.4(1a).

TIA,
Andre.
--
                  The _S_anta _C_laus _O_peration

-> Andre Beck    +++ ABP-RIPE +++    IBH Prof. Dr. Horn GmbH, Dresden <-