[cisco-voip] TFTP error: processing allocation exceeded, try again later.

Justin Steinberg jsteinberg at gmail.com
Tue Jun 21 11:16:45 EDT 2005

I am running APP load P00307010200 on some 7960's that are registering
to CCM 3.2.  With this firmware load the phone tries to TFTP
distinctiveringlist.xml which isn't really supported on this version
of call manager.

This isn't really a big deal as the phone flashes "file not found:
distinctiveringlist.xml" for a few seconds after boot up and then
disappears."

To get around this, I have create a 0 byte file named
distinctiveringlist.xml in the TFTP root directory.  The phone
downloads the empty file and since the call manager never references
it again all is well.

However, on extension mobility I get a different message.  After
logging out of EM I see the message "error verifying config info" for
a few seconds before it disappears.  While this doesn't seem to be any
major issue the context of the message convey's a poor view of our IP
telephony system.

When I packet capture on the 7960 I see the following ethereal data:

phone ip -> CCM/TFTP TFTP read request: file: distinctiveringlist.xml,
transfer type: octet
CCM/TFTP -> phone ip TFTP error code, code: disk full or allocation
exceeded, Message: processing allocation exceeded, try again later.

The strange thing is that I can tftp the distinctiveringlist.xml file
from the same call manager from my desktop and that works fine.  If i
setup a tftp server on my desktop and point my phone to that my phone
logins in and out of EM with no error messages (as it can download the
distinctiveringlist.xml file from my desktop's tftp service.)

Why would CCM/TFTP service be rejected by phone's request for that
file but deliver the file to my PC?

Any help is appreciated.

Justin