[cisco-voip] Getting started with IPCC?

Tech Guy techguy at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 14:51:29 EDT 2006

Thanks very much for the info and tips.  The servers came with 4.0(3)
software, I understand there is a 4.0(4) out.  The one good thing about this
is the fact that I will be rolling these out myself so I can mess up and
start over if I need to and do plenty of testing and playing.  And since for
now it is only going to be used for IT staff they are much more forgiving of
issues you know, much easier to give it to them and have them test it and
then break it and take it away for a while you know.  Any where else in the
company and that would be a problem.

I am thinking of going ahead and installing the 4.0(3) version since I have
it.  Then do an upgrade to 4.0(4) before others start using it, thus giving
me a chance to go through an upgrade on it as well as a new install so I can
familiarize myself with both.

Ohh and yes the servers have the redundant option.  Which as I understand it
is not really a failover, but more like a hot standby.  I will fully test
and become familiar with that aspect as well.

The reporting is what this is all about as I understand it.  The idea being
the VP of IT simply wants more metrics, currently all they can provide to
upper management is helpdesk ticket info, and anyone in IT knows that calls
account for a huge amount of time and people are not always taking the time
to log stuff.  I think the hope is to possibly roll this out within other
areas of the company as well where there are groups of individuals handling
large volumes of calls and so on.

I am ALL over the documentation right now.  :-)  Sigh.. so so so much stuff,
makes your head spin.  Hence why I had to stop for a while and go ask for
some real world tips and advice.  Documentation is great of course, but its
also a great thing to have resources such as this mailing list and forums to
be able to hear from peers who have often done or dealt with very similiar
situations and can share their lessons learned that aren't always covered in
the official documents you know.

Anyway, thanks for the info so far, and please keep it coming if you have
anything to share.