[cisco-voip] Verizon and Caller-id

John Osmon josmon at rigozsaurus.com
Thu Oct 12 19:26:55 EDT 2006

On Thu, Oct 12, 2006 at 12:43:15PM -0400, Jason Burton wrote:
> Has anyone had issue getting outbound caller-id to work with Verizon?
> They are telling me they are setup to accept caller-id, but it's not
> working.
>

> I've went through every iteration of calling party IE number type and
> Calling Number Plan.
>

> Anywhere else to look?  Or is this Verizon issue?

We have PRIs through our ILEC (Qwest).  At one point our outbound
calls would have proper CallerID with everyone except Verizon Wireless.
Calls terminating on Qwest's network (or anyone else we could find)
would show proper callerID -- but Verizon never would.

We finally tracked it down to the fact that we were sending the call
type 'unknown' rather than 'national'.  As soon as we changd things to
'national' phones on Verizon Wireless started getting CallerID.

A quick hack we threw in at the time boils down to:

translation-rule 11
 Rule 0 ^0 0 ANY national
 Rule 1 ^1 1 ANY national
 Rule 2 ^2 2 ANY national
 Rule 3 ^3 3 ANY national
 Rule 4 ^4 4 ANY national
 Rule 5 ^5 5 ANY national
 Rule 6 ^6 6 ANY national
 Rule 7 ^7 7 ANY national
 Rule 8 ^8 8 ANY national
 Rule 9 ^9 9 ANY national
!
dial-peer voice 11 pots
 translate-outgoing calling 11

Perhaps I'm a bit naive, but I'm *still* confused how a misconfiguration
on my side can transit across a carrier's network and break a feature
on another carrier's network.  <I dunno.>