[cisco-voip] attendant console in remote SRST branch

Erik Erasmus (E) ErasmuE4 at telkom.co.za
Tue Oct 17 17:36:30 EDT 2006

Hi

I have a scenario now where a customer wants to run an HQ and 5 remote
branches with a centralised call manager cluster and the branches on
srst across an MPLS IP wan. The problem is I have never proven the
viability of running the attendant console that comes with ccm 4-1/4-2
across a wan link. Looking for practical advise on workable solutions.

1. Has anyone deployed this with success - how heavy is attendant
console on bandwidth (assume we can configure propper QoS) - say 100
users in the branch

2. My biggest concern is what happens when the branch goes into srst
mode. How does one then cover for the pilot number for the specific
site. Normally when doing it at an HQ I use the approach where I
create the ac1, ac2 users etc for attendants and the pilot dn is the
main number like xxx 1000 etc. if one now configure ac users for the
remote site/s each with their own pilot number things should work Ok
with the WAN up but not sure how to provide cover for the main number
when srst kicks in and the entire attendant solution goes down. The
branch can not afford having the main pilot number un attended during
a wan failure.

Not using attendant console also poses a problem for a big branch with
100 plus users with high inbound call volumes to the site. Simply
putting a 7960 down with an expansion module or two will not do it.
The attendants won't be able to effectively handle high call volumes,
no drag and drop, now line state info etc.

Any advise will be appreciated.

erik erasmus
Telkom SA Ltd

This e-mail and its contents are subject to the Telkom SA Limited
e-mail legal notice available at
http://www.telkom.co.za/TelkomEMailLegalNotice.PDF