[cisco-voip] Remote 7961 Phone at Someone's House - Notes for Setup!

Steve Miller millerman1 at cox.net
Wed Oct 25 23:45:51 EDT 2006

The following is information that I have rec'd regarding the installation of a 7961 at someone's house who is using cable or DSL.  Is there anything else that we might need to think about?  Thank you!

Notes from Cisco Engineer:

The remote equipment at the home office would consist of a Cisco 871 router and a Cisco phone with a power block.  The Cisco 871 would function as the home office’s firewall and router (and would connect to either a cable modem or a DSL modem depending on the site).  The router would be configured to have an IPSec tunnel back to the office network (most likely configured off of your existing concentrator).  The remote Cisco 871 would be configured with DHCP and have the TFTP scope option set to tell all devices the IP address of the Call Manager server (note the router has a built-in four port switch).
 At that point, the IP Phone would register normally to the Call Manager servers using the IPSec tunnel as it’s communication path.  The keepalives from the phone to the CM servers would keep the IPSec tunnel up and running 24/7.

 The restrictions on this type of deployment are:

                        -must use G729 codec due to bandwidth restrictions

                        -extremely limited QoS control since we are going across the Internet

                        -security policies need to be visited since the remote office would have access to the corporate internal network (this one is a biggie)

                                    -sub-issue regarding calling from home office to home office.  This is doable but adds additional security and deployment issues.

                        -need to consider the standard IT management overhead associated with supporting home equipment.

Thank you!