[cisco-voip] Communicator G.729 vs G.711

Ryan Ratliff rratliff at cisco.com
Thu Oct 26 09:03:05 EDT 2006

You can also force IPC to use g.729 by setting the tick box to
"optimize for low bandwidth" in the Audio tab under Preferences.

-Ryan

On Oct 25, 2006, at 9:23 PM, Carter, Bill wrote:

I always use G.729.  G.711 may work most of the time, but I worry
about scalability etc. with the Internet connection.

To force all IP Communicator calls to use G.729, Create a Device Pool
"IP Communicator" and a Region of "IP Communicator" and have that
region use G.729 with everyone else.

If your issues are transcoding resources, I have also seen customers
convert all internal phone-2-phone and GW-2-phone to G.729.  I/They
can't tell a difference in voice quality between 711 and 729.  The
only drawback with 729 is audio quality with MoH.