[cisco-voip] building scalable dial plan

Ryan O'Connell Roconnell at unislumin.com
Wed May 9 10:12:21 EDT 2007

Hi Kevin,

I had a very informative discussion few months ago with Dan in this
group. I will just repost our conversation, about scalable dialplans.
Read from the bottom up!!

Ryan,

     -Yes each location has there own customized translation pattern to
expand a 4 digit call to a full 10 digit extension.

     - Funnny you should ask.  No I don't like to send the @ route to
the GateKeeper.  I like to be more specific.  I have been thinking of
adding that to the design but I would prefer to perform more testing.  I
would love to finally be able to bring up my missed call log, see a
missed call from an E164 number, hit the dial key and have it route the
call correctly.  The typical user doesn't like to see the prepended 91
in their call logs.  I agree.

     -Wow you have put a lot of thought into your dialplan, good for
you.  I only configure zones for DID numbers.  The sites operate just as
you described.  I put non DID extensions into a seperate partition.
Then give them a fake E164 number beggining with a 1.  111.901.4567.
The remainder of the number can mirror the DID(s) for the site.  You
want to plan ahead to make sure you will never have overlap in Unity.
CallManager ois finished here.

     -Centralized Unity just works.  No translations, no masks.  The CSS
for Unity includes all SITE-DID partitons as well as SITE-NonDID
partitions.  There is no overlap so Unity is capable of sending MWI
On/Off as well as transferring to all extensions.  This also serves as a
back door transfer to non DID extensions.

     -CAC is used here.  The LOCATIONS in CallManager are enforced and
you have additional bandwidth policing at the GateKeeper.

Everything just works!