[cisco-voip] Area Code vs NXX Conflict

Walt Moody moody at arizona.edu
Wed May 9 14:04:01 EDT 2007

Here's the setup:

The University of Arizona - in Tucson - uses seven digit dialing for
both on Campus and off Campus local calls.  We do not use 9+ or any
other PBX "outside access" codes.  NANP long distance is 1+ 10 digits,
IDDD is 011+.

Except:  When dialing from our Tucson Campus to our Phoenix Campus, we
dial 602827XXXX.  We do not use a "1" or any other prefix digit to when
we dial a "free" or on-net call.

Still with me?   OK, try this: We want to set up our dial plans so that
we can use 10 digits to call from the Tucson Campus to anywhere in the
Phoenix rate center, which consists of Area Codes 480, 602, and 623.
That's easy enough to do, except (there's that word again) 623 is both
an Area Code in Phoenix and an NXX in Tucson.

I need to find a way to tell the difference between, for example, the
dialed digits (623) 555-1212 and 623-5551 and route the 10 digit "623"
numbers to our PRIs in Phoenix and the 7 digit "623" numbers to the
local Tucson PRIs.

Prefix digits are not an option -- there are several PBXs in addition
to the CallManagers that are part of the University's voice services,
and no real good way to change them from their current dial plans.

Ideas, anyone?

Thanks,

-walt