[cisco-voip] Transmitting ALI data from Emergency Responder?

Ed Leatherman ealeatherman at gmail.com
Tue May 15 08:07:27 EDT 2007

We have PS-ALI service from verizon, which let's us update the records we
use for ELINs as needed. There is a setup fee and a monthly fee depending on
how many database records you need, and at least in our area there are a
minimum number of records you have to buy which would make it more expensive
for smaller companies. We also used to have to update these via Kermit, but
they recently joined modern times and moved to a web-based system which is
much easier to use.

This is a process that I would like to have better understanding of myself.
Between our local Verizon people and the PSAPs I dealt with, I felt that
neither had a complete grasp of what we needed when we started down this
path. We basically had to learn as we went.

On 5/14/07, Dark Fiber <d4rkf1ber at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am curious to find out what others have done in regards to
> leveraging emergency responder and more specifically working through
> the process for transmitting your ALI info.
>
> Personally I have not had a lot of luck in determing the process from
> my service provider.
>
> Like many who have CallManager we have PRI's coming into a main
> office, we have satellite offices in many different cities with
> different PSAP's and such.  The users have phone numbers tied to a DID
> range tied to the PRI's and well 911 is an issue.
>
> We plan to leverage ER to identify phones in those offices and tie
> them to an ELIN associated with the address of that office.  Nothing
> too detailed or granular.
>
> The primary issue at this point is getting info to the service
> provider I guess.  I don't think we are suppose to deal with
> individual PSAP's.  My understanding is we are suppose to send info to
> the service provider of our PRI's, who is suppose to send the info or
> pass it on to PSAPs I guess.
>
> Just looking to hear what others have done regarding this process, the
> trials and tribulations if you will of figuring out this aspect of the
> whole thing, it does seem to be the most important component of
> rolling out ER.
>
> later

Ed Leatherman
Senior Voice Engineer
West Virginia University
Telecommunications and Network Operations