[cisco-voip] Transmitting ALI data from Emergency Responder?

Ed Leatherman ealeatherman at gmail.com
Tue May 15 08:11:27 EDT 2007

Anyone have info on a reputable company that handles PS-ALI service? If
Verizon is the only ALI uploader in our state, are we stuck with them?

I have a regional campus that needs maybe 15 ELINs, and Verizon will only
sell a minimum of 80 records, which for the size and budget of the campus is
something they are resisting paying for. We can't add them to our own PS-ALI
contract as they are on a different 911 system.

On 5/14/07, Candace Holman <holman at post.harvard.edu> wrote:

> It's a bit off topic for this list but may be the only place where
> hands-on VoIP/E911 projects might be discussed, so I'd like to hear what
> others say too.
>
> There are whole companies devoted to this task and you are right, it is a
> major task and can be a hassle.  It's going to depend on the state-supported
> E911 infrastructure you deal with, so look up each state you need to do this
> for.  A "selective router" in the e911 infrastructure routes calls to the
> proper PSAP and each PSAP has a PS/ALI database.  For example, in
> Massachusetts there are 2 selective routers and 278 PSAPs.  The MA PSAPs
> have a deal with Verizon to be the only PS/ALI uploader so we had to do our
> data uploads through Verizon.  We had to use Kermit over a modem, but I
> believe they are updating this process.  You will need to press your service
> provider for information, but you have to know the right questions to ask.
>
> We only had to do two PSAPs. Since each state's E911 is run independently,
> you're going to have to find out what needs to be done for your case/s.
> Within CER you generate the upload files, and may need to tweak them for the
> PS/ALI formatting (hopefully not too much). Hint - generate one of each NENA
> format and you'll be ready when they tell you you sent it in the wrong
> format.
>
> At some point you will need to deal with each PSAP to do testing, so get
> prepared and know which ones you'll need to contact.  As a professional
> courtesy, you don't want to dial 911 for testing without calling ahead
> first.
>
> Here's a Vz link that I think someone on this list posted recently.  It
> shows what you should be looking for from your provider, and lets you start
> building a list of questions to ask:
> http://www22.verizon.com/wholesale/local/E911/1,21070,,00.html
>
> Also check out the NENA website and when you think you need a break from
> it all lookup the Next Gen 911 (ECRIT) project being defined in the IETF and
> googlable in combination with Henning Schulzrinne's name.  I would be
> surprised if Cisco were not all over this at some point in the next year or
> two.
>
> Candace
>
> From: "Dark Fiber" <d4rkf1ber at gmail.com>
> To:  cisco-voip at puck.nether.net
> Date: Mon, 14 May 2007 15:30:53 -0500
>
> I am curious to find out what others have done in regards to
> leveraging emergency responder and more specifically working through
> the process for transmitting your ALI info.
>
> Personally I have not had a lot of luck in determing the process from
> my service provider.
>
> Like many who have CallManager we have PRI's coming into a main
> office, we have satellite offices in many different cities with
> different PSAP's and such.  The users have phone numbers tied to a DID
> range tied to the PRI's and well 911 is an issue.
>
> We plan to leverage ER to identify phones in those offices and tie
> [...]

Ed Leatherman
Senior Voice Engineer
West Virginia University
Telecommunications and Network Operations