[cisco-voip] Media Termination Point

Tim Smith thsglobal at gmail.com
Tue Nov 4 09:42:19 EST 2008

Hi David,

Quick run down for you...

With a H323 gateway MTP's are typcially used to provide supplementary
services such as hold, transfer etc.
If you have it set to MTP required. Any calls going through the gateway will
try to invoke an MTP resource.

This MTP resource would typically terminate and re-originate the media
stream so that the path flows through the MTP. I.e. it acts as a sort of
proxy, and can be used to ensure a certain path for media flows

MTP's can be software or hardware - software (the IPVMS service on a
callmanager) do not support transcoding.
Hardware MTP can perform transcoding function to bridge the gap between
endpoints that do not support a common codec.

Usually they would be required if you were connecting to a 3rd party H323
gateway that does not support these functions.

You would not typically require an MTP with a 2800 series gateway. It will
support all the functions natively.

MTP's also has uses for SIP and DTMF.

So in short, your VAR has most likely done the right thing. Modern gateway
in standard setup should not require an MTP. To be sure keep an eye on RTMT
alerts / logs for increased Media resource list exhausted events though.

Cheers,

Tim