[cisco-voip] Media Termination Point

Andre Beck cisco-voip at ibh.net
Tue Nov 18 09:47:50 EST 2008

Hi,

On Tue, Nov 04, 2008 at 03:42:19PM +0100, Tim Smith wrote:

> You would not typically require an MTP with a 2800 series gateway. It will
> support all the functions natively.
>
> So in short, your VAR has most likely done the right thing. Modern gateway
> in standard setup should not require an MTP. To be sure keep an eye on RTMT
> alerts / logs for increased Media resource list exhausted events though.

I repeatedly stumbled over a certain situation where not having an MTP
actually leads to a problem even with only Cisco C(U)CM and Cisco gateways
involved. That is when

* The CCM and Gateway are connected via H.323 (either as a simple gateway
  or by mediation of a gatekeeper) and
* Multicast MoH is configured.

In this situation, the PSTN side of a call will not hear MoH but just
receive silence unless the H.323 gateway is supplied with an MTP on the
CCM side.

I've seen this with 4.1.x and 5.x so far. With 5.x I had stability issues
with the MTP stuff and disabled both MMoH and MTPs to get rid of it. A year
of patches later, maybe I should retry this.

For more information, just scan back in this mailing list (archives), I
think I posted more detailed versions of my MTP issues here.

HTH,
Andre.
--
   Real men don't make backups of their mail. They just send it out
    on the Internet and let the secret services do the hard work.

-> Andre Beck    +++ ABP-RIPE +++      IBH IT-Service GmbH, Dresden <-