[cisco-voip] Unity Connection 7 on a VM machine

Damien Ball balld at gcs.k12.nc.us
Wed Nov 5 11:47:18 EST 2008

I'm using VMware ESX Server 3.5 with Virtual Center 2.5.

The VM that i created was running off the Red Hat Linux Enterprise 4 (32-bit).  It was assigned 2 GB of RAM and 80 GB of Hard Drive Space (which is provisioned from a Fiber Channel SAN).  I also assigned it 1 and 2 CPUs in two different vms that i build.  None of the configurations I tried worked.  The only connection i can think of is the Processor.  The physical server that I uses an AMD Dual-core Opteron Processor.  That didn't work.  The VM that I was able to get working ran on an Intel CPU.  I know there should be no difference, but I'm just presenting the info that I know.  I'm actually only installing CUCM on one VM and then CUC on seperate vm.  Each have the same specs (2GB RAM, 80GB HDD, etc).

Both of them fail halfway through the install.

Another bit of info.  I have 6.1 running on a VM (I only have 6.0.1a CDs, and I upgraded to 6.1.2.  No problems there).  When I try to run the upgrade to 7x from either CUCM 6.1 or CUC 6.1, both of them stall while copying some of the RPMs.  I can try it again and send more info if that will be helpful.  I tried turning io throttling off and that only makes it stall while copying a different RPM.

Damien Ball
Network Engineer
A+, CCNA, ACDT, ACTC
Granville County Schools
Technology Department
101 Delacroix St.
Oxford, NC 27565
Office:  (919) 693-4613
Fax:  (919) 693-7391

>>> On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 11:28 AM, in message <202613020811050828i6e934969m999c29574d260548 at mail.gmail.com>, "Tim Smith" <thsglobal at gmail.com> wrote:

Hi,

What VMWare product were you using?

Hardware shouldnt really be a problem with a VMWare, thats the whole point of it.

I havent tried CM 7 yet.. but CM 6.1 installs straight onto VMWare workstation with no issues.

It should detect the fact that you are using VMware and install appropriately.

What sort of settings for your VM machine?

It is important to make sure you allocate enough memory / disk space etc.

I think Bus. Edition requires 6GB if you install CUCM and CUC.

Cheers,

Tim

On Wed, Nov 5, 2008 at 7:59 AM, Iain Gould
<iain0404 at gmail.com>

wrote:

I've had no luck installing either CUCM6.1 or CUCM7.0 (actually Bus Ed so I can test CM + UC) in a VMWare Server instance on my test server. CUCM6.0 seems to install ok.

Last time it failed I dumped the diagnostic info, and tried to interpret that. The only thing concrete I can see is something to do with "no CDP driver module for athlonSMP". So I'm using Athlon quad-core server - what are you guys trying it on? Any suggestions for solving that?

Next step is to try and upgrade 6.0 to 7.0 and see if that works...

- Iain

The Granville County School System does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, gender, disability, religion, or age in its programs or activities. If you have an inquiry regarding the nondiscrimination policies, please contact: Assistant Superintendent for Human Resources and Operations Granville County Schools, Oxford, North Carolina 27565, 919-693-4613. http://www.gcs.k12.nc.us