[cisco-voip] CCM/CUCM Route Filters

Jason Roysdon cisco-voip.20081105 at jason.roysdon.net
Wed Nov 5 14:00:12 EST 2008

Problem: Customer wants to do TBP least cost routing tail hop-off out of
the best sites (wherever they can place a local call that has no toll
nor LD charges).

Problem: Customer wants to limit some phones to truly local (no toll, no
LD) calls, and not call anything within the area code (7 digit) that
isn't local.

Problem: Some area codes *require* 10 digit dialing if it is local, or
11 digit dialing if is it LD, but we don't want to just give users
direct access to DT with the press of a line or a 9, so we have to know
how to dial each Area Code / Prefix (Office Code in CCM Route Filter speak).

For all, the solution is to enter in Rate Center info via Route Filters
and create Route Lists (with digit manipulation) / Route Patterns
pointing at the right Gateways to use these.

In smaller Rate Centers, this isn't that much work.  In large metro
areas, these are pages and pages of numbers, requiring dozens of Route
Filters to create.  The interface to add clauses to a Route Filter is
slow and cumbersome.  Worst of all, once you enter in a huge Rate Center
for a customer, there isn't a way to save that work for another
cluster/install/customer.

Or is there?  That's my question to all of you - is there a better way
to create Route Filters or deal with these problems?  Is there a way to
export the Route Filter data so that it could be imported into another
cluster?  If so, then could the Route Filters be created in an automated
fashion so they could be imported as needed?

I don't care about copying Route List / Route Patterns / Gateways, as
this is almost always going to have to be customized, and isn't that
much work.

Thanks in advance,
Jason Roysdon.

BTW, if you need to look up Rate Center info, try this site:
http://www.localcallingguide.com

There are other places sell the info in bulk monthly updates as well,
such as a product called Area Code World.