[cisco-voip] Cicso 7931

Jason Roysdon cisco-voip.20081105 at jason.roysdon.net
Wed Nov 5 14:15:56 EST 2008

Dave,
Also, note that the 7931 isn't meant to be used with multiple calls on
the same line.  It doesn't properly handle this and won't allow you to
toggle/scroll between calls the way a 794x/796x/797x phone will.
Basically the 7931 is meant for each button to have a single call on it.
 If you want to take two calls to the same DN, then you should plan to
have a second line that the call will CFwdBusy to.

Also, unlike the other model phones, the button description list is a
paper you have to print out and insert in.  It's not so bad if you can
firm up what the buttons will be and that they will not change, but how
often can you get a customer to commit and not change things?  If you
can, it's not so bad, or just put the ownership of physically deploying
and maintaining the paper printouts in their hands.

I just hate not being able to just ship phones and program them remotely
with just the MAC address info.  More planning is involved to get the
right labels in the right phones.

Personally, I hate these phones.  However, in a retail environment,
where they want basically a Key System functionality, this is the way to
go.  We've actually taken out 794x/796x phones at a customer whose end
users couldn't get transferring and having more than one call on the
line so they could put in the 7931 and be able to holler, "Guy wants
part X on line 3" across the way and someone being able to pick up any
line (by sharing all lines shared on all phones).  I hate that way of
thinking - it's so backwards to me.  But sometimes you just have to bend
to what the customer wants.  Plus, the phone is so much cheaper and more
buttons than anything like a 7914/7915/7916 can get you.  Also note that
the side cars are no longer supported on the 794x models in newer
situations, requiring a more expensive 796x phone.

I've an Excel template I created that I use for creating the printouts
if anyone is interested.  It just fits and lines up with the buttons
once you cut it out and round the corners.  I'm not sure why Cisco
doesn't provide this.

Jason Roysdon.