[cisco-voip] Two Versions of CUCM

Jason Roysdon cisco-voip.20081105 at jason.roysdon.net
Mon Nov 10 10:36:57 EST 2008

However, once the old CUCM 6.x cluster goes offline (and none of the
CUCM servers in the XML file are available), and provided SRST is
disabled, the phones will give up and reset themselves.  At that time
they will not be able to reach TFTP1 and TFTP2 will be reached.  At the
time the phones will get the new cluster's CUCM XML file and switchover.

If you can prep your CUCM6.1 cluster with the same DevPack/phoneload as
7.x, the phones will swap over relatively fast as they won't have to
download anything newer than a small config file.  Of course, they'll
have to download a new phoneload from the old cluster, but this could be
scheduled on a previous maintenance window, and reduce the switchover
window.

For a more complicated, but more controlled cutover, and depending on
other items in your configuration, you could have new voice VLAN(s) for
the phones in the new cluster.  Then just move phones over from the old
voice VLAN to the new.  I don't think you'd really want to do this - my
original thought was you could have an intercluster-trunk between both
and the phones/gateways could still be configured to talk back and
forth, but this would only work if you configured complicated CFwdUR or
some other method, with the idea that no matter the cluster you could
talk back and forth.  Probably more mess and problems than it is worth
trying to solve.

You could also test out a few phones with the new cluster before downing
the old cluster by giving them a static DHCP lease with different a
different TFTP1 value, or just manually assign it via the phone Settings
interface.