[cisco-voip] 911 Call Routing Issues

Mike Brooks 2xccie2b at gmail.com
Thu Nov 13 16:59:22 EST 2008

Hi guys,

We are having a problem in which users are accidentally dialing 911 on
an almost daily basis.  The issues appears to be because users are
trying to dial 9916XXXXXXX and are actually dialing 9911XXXXXXX.   The
9.911 pattern has urgent priority.  The problem is that they are not
picking up the phone and dialing the number they are typing the number
in and pressing "Dial".  When the misdial is done in this sequence our
CER server is not receiving the 911 call and seems to be matching the
10 digit route pattern instead 9.[2-9]xx[2-9]xxxx rather than our
9.911 (w/urgent priority) pattern.  We are unable to track who is
making the 911 calls because the phones that are making the call are
not part of our DID range, therefore our telco is not passing the
correct ANI and are applying the BTN.  The called number is going out
the circuit as the full 10 digits 911XXXXXXX and is still being routed
to 911.

We are trying to resolve this with blocks by blocking 9.911XXXXXXX or
9.911XX!.

We use the line device approach and usually block on the line and the
device contains all route patterns.  I feel we should put this block
in all of the device CSSs since it will need to be on all phones.

I have a few questions:
1. when a user enters in digits and then presses dial is urgent
priority ignored ?
2. if we do use the block patterns what would be the best practice ?
3. for the block patterns should we use route patterns or translation
patterns and why ?

Your input would be greatly apreciated.

Thank you,
Mike